Friday, July 30, 2010

Sometimes I Sits and Thinks

I've now been in McDonald's for over four hours and haven't eaten a thing in almost eight, which as you all know is quite a feat for me. My sustenance, if you will, has been the ideas which you can read below, the first two chapters of my new story about The Most Talented Man in the World (based very loosely on the life of the economist John Maynard Keynes).

I'm scheduled to depart Ecuador tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM, so this will be my last update from Ecuador, though not my final post on this blog-- I've got to finish the story! I apologize for going nearly a week without a post-- I've had a sore throat that entire time and I lost my camera so I couldn't post any new pictures. I'm now feeling mostly better and am two days into a five-day course of azithromycin, taken on the off-chance that our friend Streptococcus is trying to give me Rheumatic fever or glomerulonephritis. But the past week hasn't been as bad as I just made it sound-- I never had a fever and, apart from my throat, actually felt ok most of the time. I saw more births this week as well-- vaginal and Cesaerean-- and got to scrub in for the first time on a couple surgeries, a cholecystectomy and a fibular reduction and rod placement. I also saw a plastic surgery for a boy with extensive facial scarring from a burn, a tubal ligation, a couple other surgeries, and some interesting inpatient cases. On Wednesday, five other students in the program each gave a brief presentation on a tropical illness (I picked Giardiasis and Amebiasis-- diarrhea, yessss!) to the pediatrician who was our preceptor, and she shared some of her knowledge of tropical medicine with us after each of us finished.

I also really enjoyed the non-clinical part of my time in Chone, in which I got to do exactly what I pleased. After finishing up at the hospital around one, my companions and I would trek thirty-five minutes back across town to our homestay, where we consistently had the best food I've ever eaten in Latin America. After lunch, I'd nap for a bit under the oscillating fans, then read for hours on end. I knocked out Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions over the course of twenty-eight hours, finished memorizing all 501 verbs of 501 Spanish Verbs (I already knew most of them, so it's not that big of a deal), and almost finished going through Evangelio Segun Juan (The Gospel According to John), on which I'll probably be leading a Bible study this semester. My colleague Sarang, a Hindu, and I had some enlightening conversations about our faiths and our ideas about what makes life rich and meaningful-- I read a bit in a few of his books, Flow by Mihaly Csikzentmihaly (good stuff which echoed a lot of what I learned about flow and being in the zone in Buddhism class), Awakening Hippocrates by Edward O'neill, Jr., and The Teaching of the Bhagavad Gita by Swami Uberlonglastname. I also got comfortable fooling around with my medical iPhone apps, which I'll probably start relying on this year as I learn pharmacology and pathology. Last and certainly least, I started teaching myself the Moonwalk... gotta long way to go on that one, though!

I'm glad I came. Trying to wrap all of my experiences here up in a paragraph or two is a toughie... kinda reminds me of a poem I wrote in January about how our deepest feelings can't be captured by words or even by the left-brain thinking to which we're so accustomed. With it, I end my efforts, which I hope have resulted in new fields of thought for you all:

The ocean of unfiltered feeling
Fights the force that gives it frame.
Words and thoughts, the airy sky
To which the great white sea sublimes--
But oh how slow, the wait, the pain!
The wisdom of a million winters
Takes as long to yield its gain

And so I wait, and as I wait
I've watched a sunset and a storm or two--
The mark of the unbridled real
Transcends what here I try to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment