Sunday, July 11, 2010

The week in preview.

I made a resolution this morning. After church, I realized that I wasn't challenging myself enough to speak Spanish. So I resolved to speak nothing but Spanish for the next three weeks. Over the past few days, I've realized that short of such a drastic commitment, I lapse into speaking English with the other students here. This afternoon, I watched the World Cup with a couple of them, and they held me to this pledge and spoke mostly Spanish themselves while with me. And I learned probably a dozen words just by watching the game and commenting on it in Spanish.
I only have two days of Spanish class left, Monday and Tuesday. The other afternoons, I hope to shadow with a friend in the birthing room of the maternity hospital here in town. As I may have mentioned, I'll be precepting in the Skin Clinic during the morning hours this week and have heard that the doctors there are very good. I am also scheduled to give a 15-minute presentation to the other students on Tuesday afternoon, and decided to do it on scabies, herpes zoster, tinea, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis, since I may be seeing some of that this week.
Look for an update mid-week on what's been going on. I'll see if I can catch some video and if the connection permits me to upload it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey we're enjoying the blogging and it sounds like you're learning a lot so far. Hope you are feeling better by now and able to get out and about all weekend. If the whole med school thing doesn't work out, I'll hire you to be my espanol translator! Keep safe- Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the BEST way to learn dude. When I was on Mexico and with only Mexican people I learned 10x more. Keep with it man!

    ReplyDelete