Saturday, July 10, 2010

The week in review.

Below are a few more photos of this week. It was a good week until Thursday, when my gut started to feel uneasy. I spent most of Friday recuperating, and managed to avoid severe symptoms thanks to Cipro and loperamide. I'm feeling much better today, and have been studying Spanish and reading about skin diseases for a presentation on Tuesday. Unfortunately, my illness prevented me from going to Mindo, a town two hours from Quito located in a very biodiverse cloud forest. I hope to be able to make it up there next weekend, as well as to the equator ("la mitad del mundo").


Me in the clinic of Cochabomba. Had a decent experience there-- I met some wonderful kids, heard a lot of heartbeats, and felt a lot of lymph nodes.


The neighborhood of Cochabomba in the north of Quito. Apparently this was all forest just a decade or two ago. With no other space to expand, Quito is steadily creeping up the mountain slopes on both sides of the valley.


Looking down a street towards the smoggy valley of Quito. A transportation system based completely on automobiles and buses is taking its toll on Quito's air quality, as it is in most cities around the world.

Workers cleaning up broken glass after a thief broke into their bike shop the night before. Almost every business with anything of value has an armed guard-- but apparently this place didn't have a night watch.


Some classmates and me before Spanish class. I hope to make more of an effort next week to use the Spanish I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment